Monday, November 19, 2012

11. Curiosity May Kill the Mother

Michael is very interested in factual, scientific things.
He loves to watch open heart surgery on youtube.

His father and I promised we will try to always give the boys truthful answers.
We may have done this without realizing the repercussions.

Michael asked me one day, "Mom, how did I get in your tummy before I was born?"
I was not surprised by the question, "Well honey, mama has eggs and papas have seeds. The seed goes inside the egg, the egg hatches, and it makes a baby."
I did not want to say 'sperm.' I was not ready for my, then 4 year old, to know the term.
You  may think I explained it to him in a strange way, but it was the best I could do on such short notice.

Michael was satisfied with my answer.
I was, however, praying that he would not ask me HOW the seeds got into mama's eggs.

Fast forward about a year.

Michael asks me out of the blue, "Mom, how do the seeds get into mama's tummy to make a baby?"

I am literally thinking, "AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

I do not even remember my answer; but for once, changing the subject and not giving him an answer actually worked.

Michael has not asked me the question again, but I dread the day because I know it's coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment