Sunday, November 18, 2012

6. Mothers Can Do Anything


I made the mistake of giving Michael some Robin’s Eggs candy when he was about three years old.
“Mama, hatch the egg,” he says handing me a Robin’s Egg.
I was shocked. I had been asked to do many things in my lifetime. Hatching an egg has never been one of them.
“It’s candy,” I said laughing.
He clearly thought I was refusing to use my hatching abilities because again he said, more emphatically this time “Mama you hatch it.”
I have done many things for my children; I was not about to attempt to hatch an egg.
Not even a chocolate egg.
Not even for fun.
Though, if I thought I could have been successful, I could have taken out a full page in Ripley’s.
“You sit on it and hatch it,” I said, really not expecting him to do it.
I really should not have been surprised when Michael put the Robin’s Egg candy on the floor and promptly sat on it.
I decided to be a good parent and not tell him he could not hatch an egg either.

No comments:

Post a Comment