Sunday, November 18, 2012

4. You're Killing Your Mother


Have you ever been asked so many questions that you ran out of answers?
I have.
Usually by the time I finish my answer, Michael’s next sentence is completely out of his mouth. And I have to know the correct answer. I am not allowed to say, “I don’t know.”
Michael will promptly inform me that I “have to know.”
How Michael knows when I do not give him the right answer is a mystery to me.
Most of the time, it feels like an inquisition.
One day, when Michael was about three, he was asking questions faster than I could answer them.
Exasperated I said, “Michael, you’re killing your mother!”
He quickly responds, “No, you’re killing YOUR mother.”
I tried very hard not to laugh; really, I tried.
I quickly walked away and I just burst out laughing. I knew at that moment, I had lost not only the battle, but the war.
I looked at Michael hoping against hope that he had not noticed my amusement.
On his face was this small smile all to himself as if to say, “I got her.”
He had.

No comments:

Post a Comment