Sunday, November 18, 2012

2. Sibling Rivalry


Michael, or Bruisie, as we often lovingly call him, is now five years old.
He knows it all and he will never miss an opportunity to let you know. The abundance of his material is memorable.
Of course, it may only be memorable because I am his mother and truthfully, I cannot be impartial even if I tried.
Is manipulation a science, an art, or instinct? Is it taught or is it nature?
I always thought manipulation was learned.
I am wrong, clearly. Teenagers are manipulative but I never imagined a toddler would know how to manipulate. I do not know if he is aware of what he is doing, other than he does it so he can get his way.
I appreciate the complexity of manipulation. Without it, Michael would not be who he is today.
Michael’s first act of contention came when he was about two years old.
We just brought Robert home from the hospital.
I was holding Robert while he was sucking on a bottle. Michael’s dad held Michael up to Robert so he could get a good look at his new brother.
We were hoping for something special. A look, a touch, a sense of a deeper meaning; a bond between two loved ones.
Nope!
Michael saw Robert’s bottle and immediately snatched it out of his mouth as if to say, “That’s mine.”
Let the sibling rivalry begin.

May not copy, distribute, or share without written permission from Olivia Owens.
Robert


I made a promise to my husband that when our children become teenagers I would embarrass them on purpose. I would pull out the naked baby photos when the girlfriends would show up. Now you are probably thinking why would you want to make your child miserable?
It is simple. Payback.
Payback for all the speechless moments my children have caused their father and me.
Payback for all the manipulations we have endured and will continue to endure.
Alright, maybe, just maybe I am just trying to unsuccessfully justify my desire to embarrass my child. This is where my unusual sense of humor comes in.
I am glad, however, for the speechless moments and the manipulations.
For they begin early and are priceless.\

No comments:

Post a Comment